Locksmiths: What Do they Do?
Have you lost or had your keys stolen? Who do you call when you lock yourself out of your home or car?
What is a Locksmith?
A locksmith today is someone who works with locks, including locks on doors, windows, safes, cars, etc. Locksmiths repair, install and adjust locks in anything that requires a lock, like cars or office buildings. They usually offer other services to people who have locked themselves out of their house, business, or car, or to individuals who need someone to consult with about security systems.
Locksmithing is an ancient profession and has existed since the creation of the first metal lock around the year 870.
What Does a Locksmith Do?
A locksmith is a tradesman who installs, adjusts, and repairs commercial, residential and automotive locks along with security systems and devices. Locksmiths create and duplicate keys, unlock and change lock combinations. Their skills and knowledge of security hardware are required of residential, commercial and industrial establishments that all require varying levels of physical security to prevent unauthorized entry.
Some other locksmith duties and services include:
- Market and install lock systems, keyless entry locks, key control systems, heavy deadbolts and other heavy window and door security.
- Repair and replace damaged components of external doors, windows, hinges and electric locking mechanisms.
- Examine locking mechanisms and fit keys to replace missing, stolen or damaged keys.
- Insert new pins into locksets to assist clients in unlocking doors or changing lock combinations.
- Design and create master key systems for commercial clients like banks, warehouses, apartment complexes, and manufacturing plants.
- Install and maintain electronic security hardware.
- Change lock combinations for vaults and safe doors.
- Create keys from code.
- Open safes with unknown combinations or change combinations and make repairs to safes locking systems when needed.
Got locked out? Contact a locksmith in London Ontario for when you need them to help you with your locks.